Thursday 15 January 2015

Style of Feste






   After today's lesson, I started to think, what should be the style of Feste in our adaptation? We do not really have a set era of time, but as Andy said "era of not this time". I think we might be going for  sort of 'timeless' look, and so, should Feste be as well. I think Feste's character is very much timeless and ageless in a way. He is obviously older than some characters, he has been around, but he also has a youthfulness in him, that requires the actor to find the balance between these two.
   For the style of Feste, if we would go with the get up of the time, it would probably end up being very colourful and over-the-top. Fools' outfit was usually as funny as they were entertaining, representing their profession. Checker patterns paired with donkey-like hat emphasizes the jester side of Fetse, but I feel that out adaptation should be more timeless, and so less obvious and ridiculous. This doesn't mean the costume should be boring or plain, but I'd like to see something that could work in modern era, but also somewhere earlier in time.
   We have also seen two adaptations of this play where Feste had more of a traveler look, that consisted of coats, boots and relaxed worn out clothes. I'd see Feste as something in between, mitch-matching fabrics, as if all of the clothes he had picked out on his travels, and just wearing what he happens to acquire. I bit messy and worn out is something I see my Feste definitely wearing, and maybe a hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment